Warning Scrivener Users!
I had a melt-down-worthy moment with Scrivener recently. (I’m on a PC, by the way.) I just finished composing my entire 113k manuscript for my next novel and Scrivener did some updates to their software. When I opened my manuscript in the updated version, it told me I had to convert the old file format in order to be used in the updated software. Where there were once seventeen chapters and an epilogue, I was down to the first three chapters of my book! Fifteen chapters…GONE!
Thank the GODS I still had my old computer with the older version of the software and was able to open the back-up and export the whole thing into MS Word. Crisis averted and I didn’t end up sitting in the corner, sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth while I lamented over losing my novel. What a nightmare!
One of the main reasons I started using Scrivener was the ease of being able to break my book into scenes and then be able to move those scenes around with ease just by dragging and dropping them wherever I needed. After this little near-miss, I posted my woes in a network group I belong to, asking for recommendations of new software that would do the same thing, and the lovely Leah Braemel shared a blog post she wrote about how you can do the same exact thing in MS Word! I was so excited, I just had to share!
Here’s a link to the original post, which shows you exactly how to do this nifty little trick!!